In this assignment, we will investigate where current earthquakes are today, from a ground-sensed motion. We will then analyze how properties of volcanoes are influenced by the crust and tectonic plate boundaries nearest them.
Outcomes and Objectives
Compare the characteristics and spatial distribution of lithospheric systems (i.e., plate tectonics, earthquakes and volcanoes, weathering, mass movement, river systems, and landforms).
- Objective 5.3: Compare the various tectonic plate boundaries and the geologic hazards they create.
- Objective 5.5: Differentiate the various types of geologic faults and their influence in creating earthquakes.
- Objective 5.6: Compare the relationship between tectonic plate boundaries, earthquakes, and volcanoes.
- Objective 5.7: Compare the seismic waves released by earthquakes and how they are measured by seismologists.
- Objective 5.8: Distinguish the various types of scales used by seismologists to measure the magnitude and intensity of earthquakes.
- Objective 5.10: Analyze the spatial distribution of earthquakes and volcanoes around the planet and determine what causes that distribution.
- Objective 5.11: Compare the various features and types of volcanoes across the planet.